Friday, March 25, 2011

I'm going to run a marathon. Eventually.

I'm going to run a marathon. Eventually.

I'm not sure how it happened, but since I got back from my mission a few years ago, I can tolerate things much more than I did in high school. I mean physical things, like pain, cold, and tiredness; I still can't tolerate rap. But, I've noticed that my my own personal comfort just isn't as important to me as it used to be. I think just realized one day that life is too short to miss out on cool little adventures and awesome memories just because it's cold outside or because I'll get wet or I might get bruised up a little. My priorities changed, and making memories and having fun took the place of being comfortable. The way I see it, I can be comfortable when I'm old and sacrifice a little comfort for some memories while I'm still young.

For example, the other day while I was out geocaching, I realized that I was running through a park in the freezing rain in the dead of night wearing only jeans and a t-shirt so I could crawl around in the wet wood chips at a playground looking for a tiny capsule with only my iPod to use as a flashlight so I could sign my name on the piece of paper inside and then put it back. And I liked it.

I've hung from the side of a cliff, 10 feet above my last connection to the wall, feeling my arms giving out, knowing there would be at least a 25 foot drop if I slipped (more if my belayer wasn't fast enough), and being scared out of my mind, but doing it anyway because I knew I was safe, and I knew that although my arms hurt, I'd be glad I did it later.

So, in this same spirit of comfort-abandonment, I've decided I'm going to run a marathon. That's right, 26.21876 miles. I'm gonna do it. Of course, not right away. But, I'm going to work up to it. Hopefully in a year or two I'll be ready. It'll be rough, but so what?

Life is good if you make it good. Sometimes that means being a little uncomfortable.

2 comments:

  1. So tonight Taylor and I were looking at pictures and remembered this time he jumped into a FREEZING cold lake from a rope swing. I asked him if he would do it again and he said no because it was out of his comfort zone (as in it was too cold). I immediately pulled out the computer and pulled up this blog post and read it to him out loud! Then when I asked him if he would jump in again he begrudgingly said "yeah". So thanks Jeff, you may have just changed our marriage for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete